Did you know that server hosting operations contribute significantly to global warming? How do they do that, you ask? Since every server is powered by a computer, which is consuming energy and emitting heat from the process (this is why they are housed in ice-cold hosting houses). This greatly increases the harmful heat that circulates on earth, not to mention the high consumption of fossil fuel.
What other web hosting partners have done is to use green energy to power their servers so that their carbon foot print is not too damaging. This is what the guys at Green Geeks are doing.
Green Geeks Features
As a web host, what can you expect from Green Geeks?
- Unlimited web space and data transfer
- Unlimited domain hosting per account
- Unlimited MySQL databases and email accounts
- One free domain for life
- Additional marketing credits
- Free web site templates and site building tools
The list goes on, but these are the ones that we feel are the most attractive especially for first time web hosting customers.
For those who are advanced users, here are some more features from Green Geeks:
- Support for parked domains and subdomains (unlimited)
- Support for email auto-responders
- Anonymous FTP support
- Support for custom error pages (this one we really like)
- SSH access
- Support for Agora shopping cart (also Zencart)
- Runs on Linux (very secure server!)
How Much Will It Cost You?
There are several web hosting packages given by Green Geeks but their most basic, shared web hosting solution costs $4.95 a month. Quite cheap for the long list of features that they offer, plus you know that you are helping the environment by using green energy.
They also have packages for reselling which regularly starts at $24.95 per month for 25 accounts resold. But sometimes they have promos for those who sell 10 accounts at 1 cent each.
Their VPS or virtual private server packages start at $39.95 per month and can go as high as $99.95 a month for their most beefed up server.
Pros and Cons
What are the benefits of signing up with Green Geeks?
- They have a 30-day money back guarantee, to ease your mind about marketing scams of other hosting companies out there
- Quick activation especially useful for those who need their sites up right away
- 99.9% uptime guaranteed, which means less than 10 minutes of downtime per week
- They are an experienced bunch – they are currently hosting around 100,000 sites as we speak!
About the cons, what are the things that you should be aware of if you are thinking of hosting with Green Geeks?
- They run on Linux only- for the Windows fans out there, you have to look elsewhere
- They do not have dedicated server set ups
- They only have one type of shared hosting package – no upgrades
The cons are not too bad – it is just for those who are thinking of dramatically scaling their services in a very short amount of time. But if you are happy to be stable and you are not thinking of jumping into something much larger in the near future, their packages should be good enough for you.
How Does It Compare To Others?
There are cheaper packages like iPage but as a whole, Green Geeks’ packages are very competitive. Other high quality providers like BlueHost have similar rates and inclusions.